Mick

Profile

Username:
drmaus
Name:
Mick
Location:
Pittsburgh, PA
Birthday:
01/01
Status:
Not Interested

Stats

Post Reads:
67,099
Posts:
403
Photos:
1
Last Online:
1 hour ago
View All »

My Friends

5 hours ago
11 hours ago
20 hours ago
> 30 days ago
> 30 days ago
> 30 days ago
> 30 days ago
> 30 days ago

Subscribe

Maus

Shopping > Sneaky People
 

Sneaky People

Today was a nasty reminder to always follow a proper locking up of everything at home — all your doors of course, and your car even when you’re right inside — and never, ever deviate from that routine. About a week ago I could have said that I ALWAYS lock my car when it's in the driveway. But this past week, with owners around during the day, changed the way I was doing things, and I have left my car unlocked a few times. Stupid, because if you leave it unlocked during the day you will forget and leave it unlocked overnight.

I went out to my car today and found the door partway open.

Inside, the items from the console storage had been flung around. Soon I was able to figure that the only things taken were 2 change purses with quarters and a very nice adapter/converter. But those together probably meant I was out about $120-140 (which is a bite because I’m again poor). I’m just fortunate they didn’t mess with my car documents, and that the open door didn’t run down the battery.

It was someone familiar with phone stuff, electronics because they left 2 cheesy car adapters and took the good one.

Coincidentally, I’ve been receiving a number of delivered packages and boxes lately, but nothing went missing. Good thing, too, because I was sent a couple of nice presents. (I guess package theft is daytime work, and car theft is nighttime.) Mike suggested I request that my driveway lights get replaced with motion sensor bulbs. I already have that on the porch light, but that wouldn’t have helped anyway since it’s far away from the driveway. He pointed me to Wyze.com for their little motion sensor/open detectors and security cams, which look far better than others, and don’t cost much.

Please, everyone, remember to lock up!

posted on July 12, 2019 5:51 PM ()

Comments:

There are no addresses given unless a poster gives it--just like here.
comment by greatmartin on July 16, 2019 3:37 PM ()
these car thefts h appen in our neighborhood too and always at night. I have gotten very diligent about locking the car. Fortunately, no bears at my house.
comment by elderjane on July 14, 2019 6:11 AM ()
Yes, it gave a reminder I needed.
reply by drmaus on July 15, 2019 11:08 PM ()
We're not to that point yet here, but I'm checking out the site!
comment by jjoohhnn on July 13, 2019 4:14 PM ()
I was starting to feel paranoid about crime but suddenly I remembered the guy in The IT Crowd, saying his mother's motto was "An unanswered door is a happy door."

Jen asks, "So you just sit there, you don't answer it? What if it's good news?"

He says, "This is London, Jen! It's not going to be someone with cake! Unless that cake is made of dog poo and knives!"
reply by drmaus on July 15, 2019 11:07 PM ()
There is a web page called nextdoor.com and you can get your own local area--in ours there isn't a day goes by that at least 3-4 people have the same story---yours! There are also cats and dogs missing or ran away or worse--a kid drowns in a swimming pool or dies in an overheated car.
You say all you want--warn people all you want but we are people and still and will always do dumb things!
comment by greatmartin on July 12, 2019 7:32 PM ()
Nextdoor.com seems like a nice dangerous way to give strangers your location . It's how I know the address of someone whose emails are coming to me by mistake.
reply by drmaus on July 15, 2019 10:51 PM ()
And bears - we came home from visiting the neighbor Sunday night around dusk, and saw the cabin guests had left their dome light on. Walked around their car, saw the passenger door was open, and knew it was the bear! It was unlocked - the bear got in there because it smelled minty chapstick in the console. Also broke into our house (a bear sauntered through my house, pooped and peed in the dining room), but it's a story for another time.
comment by traveltales on July 12, 2019 7:14 PM ()
Funny how I feel violated by humans getting into the car, but a bear doing it would be less ugly, somehow... although far more dangerous.
reply by drmaus on July 15, 2019 10:53 PM ()
Also I am reminded never to leave in the car any valuables I'm not willing to lose.
comment by drmaus on July 12, 2019 5:56 PM ()

Comment on this article   


403 articles found   [ Previous Article ]  [ Next Article ]  [ First ]  [ Last ]