After that horrible mass shooting in October, we have to wonder how Las Vegas plans to keep people safe for the New Year's Eve celebration. Thousand of people crowd Las Vegas Boulevard, which is lined by towering casino hotels. We've already been told that the hotels started putting security guards in the elevator lobbies to make sure only authorized people can use the elevators, and presumably look out for duffle bags crammed full with guns and other devices of mayhem.
This was in the paper today:
"Snipers, National Guard will man New Year’s Eve on Las Vegas Strip"
Snipers and spotters will be part of an increased Las Vegas police presence keeping watch over New Year’s Eve festivities this weekend.
“I’m confident every available resource is being used to make sure this New Year’s Eve will be safe,” Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said during a news conference Wednesday morning.
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority expects about 330,000 revelers to travel to Las Vegas to celebrate the new year.
More than 1,500 Metro officers will be on duty in the Las Vegas Valley over the three-day holiday weekend, Lombardo said. In addition to police officers, more than 300 Nevada National Guard troops will be stationed at locations on the Strip, downtown and at McCarran International Airport.
The federal government will provide additional intelligence personnel to assist in keeping the events safe. Last week, the FBI announced it was bringing in about 100 people from outside the Las Vegas area to work “specialty positions.”
Federal air units will join Metro’s existing helicopter units to provide surveillance over the events.
Federal resources also will contribute additional medical personnel and medical supplies, such as tourniquets and bandages, throughout the events."
We're staying home.