Teal

3 days ago
19 days ago
23 days ago

Teal's Modest Adventures

Teal's Modest Adventures > Tealstar's Comments

Tealstar's Comments

What part of Queens does Laura live in? When I married Ed, we lived in Forest Hills, and we had our wedding reception in Elmhurst at an elegant German restaurant, now closed. Everything changes.
Comment on What the Big Nine Oh Feels Like. - Apr 6, 2019 9:22 AM ()
How nice you had a lovely party ... Also happy to hear Laurie is enjoying New York. Would love to hear more about her.
Comment on What the Big Nine Oh Feels Like. - Mar 29, 2019 12:18 PM ()
The sad part is that very often grandparents don't hear from their grandchildren a whole lot and if they are losing memory or are infirm, they are so happy to hear from them, that they won't be suspicious. Usually, the "grandchild" says, "I'm in trouble, grandma. Someone stole my wallet and I can't get back home -- can you wire me some money," or a variation thereof.
Comment on My Grandson, Sort Of - Mar 26, 2019 8:13 PM ()
Ticks are scary. Sat down in a woodsy trail some years ago. Big mistake. There is some kind of cream you can use. I've forgotten what it's called. Anyway. Finally got over it. We get big birds (egrets, pelicans) in our back yard (back bay of Charlotte Harbor), but no hawks. I think that is a good thing. We do get osprey that nest in nearby chimneys and the people can't use their fireplaces.
Comment on Ticks - Mar 24, 2019 1:35 PM ()
I haven't had any bogus messages from our bank, but I do get phone calls saying my icloud account has been breached, and to press 1 for more info -- I know it's a scam so I just hang up. Or I copy the phone no. if there is one and send it to a fraud hotline. Also there are the calls claiming to be from the IRS and you must respond immediately or risk draconian consequences from the government. Ha ha ha.
Comment on Scams by Phone, Email - Mar 11, 2019 1:38 PM ()
Why does Ted want you to stop the diet? Doesn't he want you to feel good? I envy your energy level with plants. First, I have a black thumb, so whatever I try will fail. Second, trimming bushes, that I used to do, is way beyond me now. I don't have the energy, and I have to sit down when I clean the litter. I have a little stool for that. I have stopped taking an iron supplement because I suspect it is responsible for some terrible side effects I am enduring. My problem (oily mouth, white coated tongue) was misdiagnosed, so I have stopped those meds. The iron supplement is the only new thing in what I take, so I am not "stopping all vitamins and re-introducing one at a time" because, sorry, Doc,i know my body better than you do and if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck and that's the iron pill which was a prescription item. Re weight loss, the biofeedback system I use works like a charm. It took two months to start working and then I had a steady loss and went from 125 lbs. to 106. If you are interested, I will repeat the instructions. It's painless.
Comment on Winter Clings On - Mar 11, 2019 9:38 AM ()
It takes energy and focus to do what you are doing. I admire your dedication.
Comment on Toto ... We're Not in Kansas Anymore - Mar 1, 2019 9:50 PM ()
I an too lazy to make this.
Comment on Homemade Sauerkraut! - Feb 25, 2019 3:25 PM ()
Do not get the sex cowboy vibe. Even when I was a kid, watching Westerns because I loved horses, I did not fantasize about cowboys. John Wayne, in specific, meh. Maybe it was because male chauvinism was written into the script.
Comment on Regional Differences - Feb 25, 2019 1:51 PM ()
Forgot to mention that when I was moving out of our lower Manhattan loft, I got the Strand Bookstore to come and evaluate the collection. Their book appraiser selected about a hundred books to buy and I think they gave me a check for $2,000.
Comment on Many Many Books in My Basement and Garage - Feb 25, 2019 1:40 PM ()
I have a huge library dating back to the 30s inherited from my late first husband. I don't know if I will ever read my way through it.
Comment on Many Many Books in My Basement and Garage - Feb 22, 2019 5:06 PM ()
Late seeing this but join in support of your efforts. Keep us informed.
Comment on I Did It! - Feb 22, 2019 2:53 PM ()
Modern technology has replaced Morse communication but that doesn't work in bad weather. Morse is still the only way to communicate when voice cannot be heard. The signal cuts through everything. They can't stop a good system when it works. Jay (my late husband) was a radio officer on a merchant ship during WWII. (The Mermansk run -- torpedoed 3 times -- in a lifeboat for 15 days.) He once copied traffic through a maze of noise that was daunting but he was able to pick out the signal accurately. His captain called him "a long-eared m..... f....r.
Comment on Electric Stuff - Feb 13, 2019 9:56 AM ()
I don't trim bushes anymore, and changing the Tempurpedic split king bed really needs a helper because the mattresses are so heavy, although I have done it alone. Ed asking for things again. And before we knew I was coming home, he arranged for a house cleaner. Now that I am here, he is going to appointments and I have to deal with her and I don't need that right now. It will take all of my strength. I wish I could just rest today because when I got home, I took care of some cleaning emergencies that couldn't wait for her. So, no rest for the weary. But, you know, Ms. Compulsive here, would have gone nuts watching Ed direct her if he hadn't gone out, so maybe I do this to myself.
Comment on Two Great Surprises - Feb 13, 2019 9:47 AM ()
It's too complicated for me to follow. My first husband, a giant brain, was, among other things, an electronics engineer who wrote repair manuals, with secret clearance, for the Atlas missile. He taught me the Morse code and hoped I would become a radio amateur as he was, but reading the electronics book that would prepare me for the test, was a problem. Easy for the first 20 pages and then whump, Sanskrit. So I gave up. However I still use Morse to talk with him in the hereafter. I use his radio call sign, W2WHM, and I sign off with "73" which is Morse for goodbye and I use his nickname for me, Lillabug.The radio amateur magazine CQ has a page called "silent keys" in which they list the obits of members. It was heartbreaking to read his call on that page.
Comment on Electric Stuff - Feb 7, 2019 7:44 AM ()

Page 1 of 413   Next >>   [6,188 comments found]