Laura

Job / Career:
Travel

54 min ago

It's Where?

It's Where? > Traveltales's Comments

Traveltales's Comments

No green shakes for me, either.

I'll give your recipe a try some time - it's intriguing. I love what restaurants call "Chopped Salad" where everything is cut small. Somehow I never manage to get the same texture and taste at home, decided the prep of it calls for putting all the ingredients in a pile on a large cutting board and whacking at them with a big knife, and no regard for flying pieces because the restaurant kitchen in theory will be hosed down at the end of the day.
Comment on Salads - June 8, 2019 10:07 AM ()
Hackers . That fox we used to have visiting us loved grapes. It was fun to watch him zig-zagging across the lawn to pick them up.
Comment on Critters - June 6, 2019 9:10 AM ()
I couldn't read it - too many words without paragraph breaks - like someone talking for 10 minutes without drawing a breath.
Comment on "Non-fiction"--movie Review - June 5, 2019 5:21 PM ()
I've always thought it's important for children to spend some time, even if it's a couple hours' a year visit, with aunts and cousins and other extended family. My mother did a good job of stopping in at relatives' homes for a visit as we made our way to what she always called 'home' to stay a couple weeks at my grandparents' trading post in the far corner of Colorado.

It helped us to see there is more to 'family' than just our parents. It balances things out - the fun ones made up for the oddballs. And now that I'm older and my parents are gone, I still know quite a few of my extended family members beyond just names on a family tree chart.
Comment on The Aunts - May 27, 2019 8:28 AM ()
It would be nerve-wracking to have all those alerts because tornados seem to be so random when compared to rivers where you'd know if you're in the floodplain or not.
Comment on Sustained Tornado Season - May 26, 2019 8:36 PM ()
What a good idea - I like the grab and go feel of it - one from each shelf and I'm impressed by the variety - it's not chicken-chicken-chicken. I might try that method some time.
Comment on Some Call it Laziness--i Call it Efficiency!! - May 26, 2019 7:22 PM ()
I'm going to run out of things to watch pretty soon, I'll check out The Borgias - and the trees.
Comment on Them Cypresses - May 23, 2019 5:45 PM ()
People will have to start referring to them by the technical name - Schlumbergera (according to the Internet). Same name as that that oil field services company, with an 'a' on the end. I can pronounce Slum-ber-zhayy, but am struggling to work in the extra 'a'.
Comment on Will They Ever Learn?? Lol - May 21, 2019 6:03 AM ()
I was young when that happened, but I remember it in general, will enjoy learning more about (the movie version) now that I'm older.

Flash backs and Flash forwards in books and movies can sometimes be confusing for me. I listen to a lot of audio books, and unless there is some clear indication in the story that a time jump has been made, sometimes the story doesn't make much sense. If the time change is big, movies can use different settings, costumes, and makeup to indicate the past, but if it's a matter of a couple of years or months, it's trickier to follow.

One thing I don't like much at all is those reverse chronologies where they go backwards, like that Seinfeld episode. That always seems strained and contrived - a cheap way to get out of better writing, direction, and editing.
Comment on "The White Crow"--a Movie Review - May 15, 2019 12:18 PM ()
How interesting. It takes a certain turn of mind to be able to step back from our self view and describe it like that. I couldn't do it.

That's a perfect description of a fox, and I think it explains why our fox didn't eat our cat when it had a chance - kindred spirits.
Comment on List of Badly Described Vocations - May 12, 2019 3:12 PM ()
I've seen two stage productions of The Lion King, and marveled at the clever costumes and how the sets were used to convey information.
Comment on "The Lion King"--touring Company Review - May 12, 2019 1:18 PM ()
A new start, I like that idea. Each of our furry friends has unique traits and behaviors that we'll probably never see again in the next dog or cat, but the new one will have some of his/her own specialities.
Comment on People Are Not Dogs - May 12, 2019 1:16 PM ()
Good luck with the garage sale. Years ago, my father-in-law's main hobby was going to garage sales and bringing home the treasures to repair or otherwise enhance in his workshop. After they moved to a townhome neighborhood, he took to dumpster diving, brought home a lot of discarded vacuum cleaners and oscillating fans. The vacuums were often like new, but had pet hair clogged in somewhere, and the fans usually needed lubricating. He gave the repaired items to family members, and we were the beneficiaries.
Comment on Will I Ever Learn? - May 11, 2019 6:34 PM ()
By the way, I don't watch it either, saw an article today, realized there's some weird names for people in it, and people will probably be naming their babies those names just to show the world they're in on it.
Comment on The Coffee Cup, and Other Things - May 8, 2019 8:09 PM ()
A lot of it is the quality/flavor of the coffee you buy. I like dark roast (but not that burned-tasting Starbucks), use 2 1/2 tbsp grounds for 4 cups of water. This is probably weaker than a lot of people like, and weaker than the directions on the coffee but it's a starting place. We were in a Las Vegas Walmart one time, contemplating the selection of coffee, and some perky old guy came up and said: "Dunkin Doughnuts - the best coffee in the world." Percolated coffee is different from drip in that the water is circulated through the grounds several times, but I don't get carried away worrying about whether one way is better. I think some people drink coffee so they have an excuse to consume those fancy-flavored creamers. Not me, I drink it black or sometimes I zap some milk in the microwave and whisk it briskly so it gets foamy.
Comment on The Coffee Cup, and Other Things - May 8, 2019 8:08 PM ()

Page 1 of 29   Next >>   [430 comments found]