Laura

Job / Career:
Travel

1 day ago

It's Where?

It's Where? > Traveltales's Comments

Traveltales's Comments

I can't decide if I need to start going out to eat more, a lot more, in the search for a satisfying experience. Prices are high, and the food isn't correspondingly better or what I feel is worth it. I haven't had good restaurant food in 3 or more years, but that's only about 8 meals, so not a big enough sample.
Comment on Rossini Bar & Grill Review Fort Lauderdale - June 19, 2022 7:41 PM ()
I don't keep close track of the restaurants you tell us about, but I think the Quarterdeck would be my favorite.
Comment on Welcome to Ft. Lauderdale in June! - June 2, 2022 6:32 PM ()
Thanks Martin!
Comment on Streaming Reviews---may 2022 Part 5 - May 31, 2022 2:26 PM ()
Hi, Kevin! I'm happy that you're still hanging in there.
Comment on Things You Havent Used - May 28, 2022 11:09 AM ()
All this restaurant talk makes me think about getting Mr. Troutbend to take me out to eat more often than twice a year. A few years ago we had a gift card to McDonald's and I had one of their new type burgers - it was so good! A real treat. He was scornful because in his mind the reason to go to McDonald's is to get their cheapest, flattest burger and remember back in the 1970s and 80s when he bought lots of Happy Meals because he was collecting the Beanie Babies. It sounds like we should try Arby's - because they 'has the meats.'
Comment on Eating Late Lunches Out on Thursdays & Fridays - May 23, 2022 8:58 PM ()
They're all fortunate to have you as their grandmother, just as we're all fortunate to have you as our friend.
Comment on I AM Mostly Present - May 22, 2022 9:17 AM ()
I'm looking forward to seeing it some time.
Comment on "Downton Abbey: a New Era"--movie Review - May 20, 2022 9:57 PM ()
I always learn a lot when things go wrong and I discover the loopholes in my planning. A few years ago we had a big May snowstorm (similar to what's going on here right now) and there were major power outages. Our generator ran for a couple of days and then quit and wouldn't restart. I discovered we needed a camp stove and a few other survival things I'd forgotten about. And we found out we need to check the generator's oil levels frequently during extended usage.
Comment on Electrical Me - May 20, 2022 9:53 PM ()
I liked that you call it a pecan farm that just happens to have a house on it, instead of you bought a house, and oh, by the way, there's 1000 pecan trees.
Comment on The Rustic Pecan - May 18, 2022 6:29 PM ()
I have a new resolve to grow some garden vegetables this year - am setting up a planter/raised bed in where I hope it will get more sun. Peppers, tomatoes, zucchini.
Comment on Welcome to May 2022 - May 4, 2022 7:13 PM ()
All these 50 or so years 'men' - the men in charge of our country and the women who enable them - appear to have been smoldering under the oppression of women's liberation and they are now empowered to put us in our place.
Comment on Women Should Write the Laws About Women - May 4, 2022 9:30 AM ()
Seems like movies are trimmed to fit a certain duration, and a lot of story gets lost in the process. I always marvel at those movies from the 50s and 60s that ran for three and four hours, so long that there was an intermission built in. Now, it's hard to watch them because the slow pace feels like self-indulgence and showing off on the part of the directors. Another thing I don't like about the movies from the 60s and 70s was the costuming, particularly womens' hair styles - those bee-hives! I'm betting the Grecian women and the western frontier women didn't sport those styles.

But the new shorter movies move too quickly for me. Often I feel like my brain doesn't have time to process what are probably key scenes, and I'm sure it is a function of my age. And also, the lighting is often so dim I can't see what is going on, plus all the 30-something male actors look the same to me, so I don't know the bad guys from the good guys.

What I regret the most is that back story scenes get cut in the need to cram a coherent story into 90 minutes, and they would have vastly increased my understanding of the overall plot of the movie.

But movies are still movies, and once in awhile I give one of them a chance to charm me.
Comment on "The Duke"--movie Review--gateway Theatre - May 1, 2022 6:18 AM ()
One of the things I don't miss about my former renters is how they would buy into the right-wing conspiracy theories like 'the Democrats have totally shut down domestic oil production' and 'the Democrats are going to take away all our guns.'
Comment on Rumors Do Get Started - May 1, 2022 5:52 AM ()
I'm pleased to hear you like it - usually if I see something is based on a comic book, I avoid it. I'll start watching it tonight.
Comment on "Heartstopper"--must See New Series!!! - Apr 27, 2022 7:13 PM ()
I dine out maybe 3 times a year, including fast food. Last month Mr. TBend flew here for the weekend to help me buy a new truck, and we ate in restaurants two times. I was disappointed both times - poorly prepared food - but I think he liked what he ordered, so I didn't say anything.

I think if we went out more often, there'd be more opportunities for some great meals, and it would balance out.
Comment on Cheeseburgers & Ice Cream! - Apr 25, 2022 7:24 PM ()

Page 1 of 52   Next >>   [771 comments found]